The term ‘Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)’ is utilized in South Africa to quote to the estimation of the skills, background and ability currently conducted by a person, independently of how, when and where the studying carried out. The estimation is performed outside of a formal studying programme, and may attract on empirical and other forms of evidence.
RPL can for the most constituent be accounted as a procedure rather than a meeting, as it traps pass making ready for RPL, arranging with RPL candidates, collecting evidence, passing judgement on evidence, granting feedback and publishing outcomes.
Recognition of Prior Learning is a procedure whereby people’s prior studying can be from the formal perspective appriated in terms of recorded qualifications and unit standards, independently of where and how the studying was conducted. RPL recognizes that people never stop studying, whether it carries out formally at a learning facility, or whether it occurs informally. Everything is conducted together with Canadian Health&Care Mall.
The procedure of RPL is as follows:
- Undestanding what knowledges a person has and what can perform;
- Identifying the person’s knowledge, skills and background to special standards and the related estimation criteria of a qualification;
- Estimating the studying against those standards; and
- Crediting the person for skills, knowledge and experience built up through formal, informal and nonformal studying that happened in the past.
RPL PROCESS WHEN DONE THROUGH ICK
1. Requirements for RPL application
Applicants may only plead to be estimated for RPL if they may be referred to one or more of the following categories:
- ICK graduates who desire to renovate their current fitness qualification(s) and thus reach a new fitness qualification
- Applicants who have qualifications in the spheres of sport, fitness or recreation from any other South African or global establishment or facility (e.g. Degree in Sport Science, etc.)
- Applicants who have relevant working place background and /or on-the-job coaching in the fitness sphere, but had no formal qualifications
- Any applicant who has previously fitness qualification(s) or fitness qualifications no longer acknowledgable by the industry, employers or regulatory authorities
- Applicants who did not finish lattestfitness-grounded class(s) with ICK or any other establishment or facility
- Applicants who have finished some investigation towards fitness qualifications
Applicants who may be referred to one or more of the categories above may only plead for RPL if they also satisfy all of the following minimum obligations:
- 21 years of age or older
- Grade 12 or NQF Level 4 qualification (only required for candidates under the age of 25)
- proficient in speaking, reading and writing in English at Grade 12 level or NQF Level 4
RPL supplements must consist of two (2) or more of the following aintaining papers:
- Certified copies of current qualifications (certificates / diplomas / degrees)
- Outline of the curriculum / subjects completed or partially completed
- Letter(s) of reference
- List of relevant courses attended
- Examples of previous course work completed
- Video tape evidence of ability to perform fitness-related tasks
- Membership of fitness industry association(s) / organisation(s)
- Outline of relevant work experience
- Relevant awards / achievements
2. RPL process
|Feedback and postassessment support||
|Recording of results||
3. RPL Assessment Methods & Activities
Approaches of estimaton for RPL applicants will be dependent on the genuine demands and obligations of the relevant applicant. The appriciated approach of RPL estimation is to hold estimations in the same manner to ICK’s standard studing programme estimations, utilizing the same estimaton guide(s), occupations and evidence collection procedure.
4. RPL Duration
A time span of least six months is advised for the RPL procedure. This will make the candidate to pick up and subscribe the obligatory evidence of prior studying and let the examinor adequate time to prove the evidence and supply feedback.
5. RPL Fees
A standard RPL supplement and screening charge is set for every academic year and is defrayable upon supplement. RPL estimation and administration charges will be defined by the scope of maintenance and services demanded by the relevant applicant. Applicants get a written quotation of charges during the estimation scheduling stage of the RPL procedure.